Suggest treatment for pain in penis

Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 13 Oct 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Wife has vaginal discharge and I have pain in my penis during urinating and discharge. Wife's OBGYN prescribed doxycycline for the both of us. Wife said OBGYN couldn't tell her what the bacteria was. Would an OBGYN prescribe this med without knowing what the bacteria is?
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Test will help us identify the organism.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

Ideally a bacterial culture of the vaginal discharge needs to be done. Based on the type of bacteria antibiotic needs to be given.

Doxycycline covers most of the bacteria; so some gynecologist give it initially after collecting a sample for test. You can discuss with your wife if any such test done. Perhaps her OBGYN will help in performing this test if it isn't done yet.

My advise will be to get culture and antibiotic sensitivity of the discharge and then start correct antibiotics.

Feel free to consult me directly
http://bit.ly/drsombiswas

Dr. Som Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad