Suggest treatment for pain in neck and shoulder caused by muscle spasms

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Back Pain
Question: 3 days back I slept in wrong posture which has caused neck and shoulder pain. I have searched on internet and find out some exercises which help for sometime but the pain comes back.

can you suggest some Medician to get rid of the tightness and pain in my neck and shoulder.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Heat application, pain killer and muscle relaxant, Good posture

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

The pain that you are experiencing because of wrong posture is due to local muscle tightness or spasm. You need to follow some helpful tips and most importantly sleep on your back and not to the side.

Apply hot water bag to the painful regions three times a day for 10 minutes each.

Avoid bending the neck forward or lifting weights on the back or with the hands.

Do not use a very thick pillow to sleep on as this will put strain on your neck. Rather use a thin pillow that brings your head in line with your neck while lying down.

Take pain killer and muscle relaxant like Tablet Diclofenac and Thicolchicoside combination for example Tablet Myospas Th 8mg twice a day for 5 days after meals. Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily.

Apply pain killer gel like Thiox gel, Volini gel for pain relief, three times a day.

Adopt good posture while at work. Use ergonomic design work chairs, correct height level of the computer screen to the eyes etc.

If you follow these tips, your pain shall subside in 4 or 5 days. If not, you may be having nerve pinching in the spine at the back of your neck for which you may need to do a Cervical spine Xray to look for Cervical spondylosis.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later
thanks for your reply doctor. I have started following your advise and feeling a bit better. I have another question to ask. Is it fine to run and exercise or should I stop that untill the pain settles down.
Brief Answer:
Yes, You may. But do not strain yourself

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Thanks for the follow up query.

As long as you are comfortable, there is no reason to stop running and exercising.

You may go ahead but please stay in your comfort zone to you get better.

I hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
I hope drinking wine or a bottle of beer would not aggravate it
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol shouldn't aggravate it directly

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

It shouldn't aggravate it, but please do drink responsibly.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj