Suggest treatment for pain in neck and head after a viral infection

Question
I saw gp on Thursday. Said I had a virus. Achey, freezing cold, headache,nausea light headed and dizzy. I woke with small children so always picking up bugs. Had vertigo about a month ago. Had a cold a month ago or so too. Having dental surgery under sedation for a bridge. Last Friday and this coming Wednesday. Have had a bad headache since yesterday. Today neither neurofen or panadol is helping. It's throbbing, base of neck and on top of head moving around. Got gp app tomorrow but it's hurting and I just want it to go away. Is it still the virus? Could it be a migraine.... Never had one before. Could it be my sinuses? Am anxious now too.
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Presumtive management would help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Mam
I have carefully read your query and understand your concern.

As per your clinical history,your symptoms,in my opinion point to "viral pansinusitis" most likely.It cannot be migraine.

But "viral meningitis"which can present with similar symptoms could not be ruled out completely with the current clinical status of yours.

A throbbing headache at the base of the neck with radiation to the top of the head needs further evaluation .

A non contrast CT SCAN of brain and paranasal sinuses will help to differentiate the two quite easily and reliably.

Meanwhile i would like to start you on presumptive antibiotics like Augmentin 625 mg twice a day along with tab Sinarest thrice a day for two weeks..90% of cases resolve by this treatment protocol.

Consult your treating doctor with respect to the above mentioned drugs.

I hope this info is helpful to you.
wish you a good health.
Thank you.