Suggest treatment for pain in mouth, gums and cheeks

Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Yes....I have a painful mouth all the time. The gums, The inside lining of my cheeks, the inside of my lips , and my tongue. At times my tongue has fungus on it and I take fluconazole. It is hard to eat, I cannot drink anything carbonated. I have type 2 diabetes if that helps at all. I am so fed up it is not even funny. Maybe I should see a doctor at mayo in XXXXXXX Minnesota? What should I do?????
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes visit your dentist & it can be oral thrush

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

As per your symptoms, you might be having oral thrush or candidiasis which is fungal infection of oral cavity & diabetic patients are more prone to candidiasis.
It occurs as whitish cheesy patch which bleeds or becomes reddish on scrapping,
There are few preventive measueres for candidiasis:-
- maintain good oral hygiene
- donot use any mouthwash as it aggravates
- limit your sugar intake
- rinse your mouth with diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide solution
- use antifungal sprays

You are already taking antifungal drug & better Consult your dentist to get proper treatment according to the extent of your disease.

Hope I answered your query

Wishing you good health

Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D