Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for pain in lower calf?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Hi I have pain in my lower right calf which seems get worse when I am sitting cross legged. I also am experiencing Pain in my right arm especially around my elbow which is tender and my right hand feels weak and stiff and the mobility of the hand feels weak sometimes hard to grasp an object. My neck and the back of my right shoulder is also painful and am having great difficulty sleeping at night waking constantly with pain. I have tried anti inflammatory pills but they are not helping. I am 61 years old female and weigh about 9 stone, 5 foot 4 inches tall eat a healthy diet and walk a lot . Regards XXXX
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Chiropractice / Massage therapy may help Detailed Answer: HI Anti inflammatory alone may not help. If they do not help there is something other than inflammation that is causing the problem. Unless the real cause is found it is difficult to hit the therapy. Till the time you meet a specialist doctor like an Orthopedic Surgeon or Rheumatologist I would suggest you to rely on Chiropractor and massage therapy for the pain relief. Do hot showers help in relief? As you said Stress, Osteoporosis could be a chief causes but we cannot delay the diagnosis only on the basis. May come up with more suggestions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in lower calf? 1 hour later
I have used a heated wheat pack for my neck which did seem to help a little but not dramatically, can you please explain in more detail about Osteoporosis. I have always had a very good diet fresh vegetables fruits, nuts cheese fish etc I do not eat any processed or take away foods exercise regularly and have done all my life, I thought Osteoporosis was caused by poor diet and not enough exercise.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Osteoporosis is caused by multiple factors Detailed Answer: Good diet and regular exercise can delay the onset of osteoporosis and its complications but it mostly hormonal regulated. The chances of osteoporosis increase by 10 times once a female enters menopause. The oestrogen hormone is not produced largely after menopause. Before we worry about Osteoporosis it is better to confirm it with DEXA scan.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in lower calf? 15 minutes later
I am in Australia and I am not familiar with DEXA Scan can you explain what this is and where would I go to have this done? Also would having menopause for a much longer increase the risk or delay the risk as I have continued with menopause symptoms they are on going
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Dexa scan is bone scan Detailed Answer: Your GP will know about DEXA scan. It is a test done using X-ray at a radioimaging centre. All your limbs, chest as well as pelvic bones will be scanned using low dose X-ray to figure out low and high bone density area. The total results will be published as bone mineral density score which can be accordingly classified as 'normal', 'osteopenia' and 'osteoporosis'. With regards to menopause, most women get over menopausal symptoms. However a small subset of people continue to suffer from menopausal symptoms. You are not uncommon. But since the state of menopause cannot be reversed just like aging, symptoms of menopause can be managed with symptomatic treatment. Hormone replacement may be started if risks outweigh benefits. You should discuss with a Endocrinologist or referral by GP for DEXA scan. IT can be done at any hospital lab/ diagnostic centre. Hope I answered all your questions. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor