Suggest treatment for pain in lower back

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Since last 4 days, i was not able to go to gym. Today while leaving for gym, i bent forward to pick up my shoes and then when i got up, it pained me in lower back. The pain is bearable but not allowing me to lay down, sit or walk. Could you please help me with a solution? Pain is in lower back (Hip)
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Back muscle strain

Detailed Answer:
Back muscle strain is the MOST likely cause in your case. Lifting a heavy object, twisting, or a sudden movement can cause muscles or ligaments stretch or develop microscopic tears.
TREATMENT: Some general guidelines can help you to reduce lower back pain. These are as follows:

1) Take adequate bed REST with maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged lower back pain.

2) Alternate Hot water bottle or Ice pack can help to relieve most types of low back pain by reducing inflammation. You can apply Volini after that.

3) Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) and muscle relaxants are quite useful to reduce inflammation and back pain. You need proper prescription from your doctor.

4) Exercise for Lower Back Pain : It is a key element of almost any lower back pain treatment plan. You may contact with Physiotherapist regarding this.

It includes 3 components: aerobic conditioning, stretching, and strengthening. The exercises are done through a controlled, progressive program to build more strong and flexible spine.

5) Epidural Steroid Injections - deliver steroids directly into the painful area of the lower back to reduce inflammation. It doesn't heal the components of the back, but often provide enough pain relief to allow patients to move, exercise and heal.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal