Suggest treatment for pain in left inner thigh and leg

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 19 May 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doctor,

My Name is XXXXXXX I have been suffering from left inner thigh pain and left leg pain from past 4 months.

It all started in the mid of last December. I used to go out in the weekends and used to walk for at least 6 to 7 hours on roads, shopping malls etc. Also before the pain started for 2 weeks every day after the office hours I used to walk for 1 hour.
When I used to walk for 2 to 3 hours continuously in weekend my legs used to get tired and my left leg upper thigh area used to be of little pain.
Then when I have sat down for 30 to 45 minutes , legs get relieved and pain went off.

Suddenly one day the pain started at the left testicle area. After pain started I stopped walking in the weekdays and in weekends.
I suspected and went to STD clinic and undergone the STD tests and the test results shown no STD is present and they told to contact GP (General Practioner).
I went to GP and then he suggested to go for Ultrasound scan for scrotum area. I went for the Ultrasound scan and the results showed
everything is normal. GP told that the pain may be due to muscle strain and he suggested for some pain killers tablets. I haven't used those tablets at all.

After some days the pain in the left testicle reduced considerably and now the pain is happening at left inner thigh and left leg area.
When I wear little bit tight briefs the pain gets increased in the left inner thigh area. I am not sure why this pain is coming.
For the past 4 months its like that only. I would like to get cured for this one. When I have asked about this pain to another GP
she had also given some tablets telling may be muscle strain but I havent used at all.

I have the following doubts:
- Is it possible for muscle strain to last for more than 4 months
- can massage or physiotherapy helps in curing this pain.

May i know what do i need to do to get this pain cured. Please let me know.

Thanks and Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stress fracture/osteomalcia may be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query
I Dr. Chugh Orthopaedic surgeon
After going through your query, the cause of your suffering is because of excessive physical exercises as it all started after walking on the weekdays and weekends and may be not supplemented by proper diet. This leads to stress fracture in leg bone (Tibia) and if you are deficient with vitamin D may lead to weakness of bone (osteomalacia) especially at the pubic bone. This pubic bone is part of hip bone and muscles of thigh (inner side) are attached to it.

You might have increased the physical exercise for which your body was not prepared for (If am not incorrect). I have seen many patient’s like you and others preparing for police and Para military forces.
To confirm this, you may get –
A.     X ray of pelvis – AP view
B.     Blood investigation for serum vitamin D, calcium, phosphorus and alkaline phosphotase.Please share the finding in the follow up query.

For now my advice would be take a break from walking (long duration) for few days (15-21). Take balanced diet rich in calcium (1000mg/day) and vitamin D (1000 i.u. /day) along with vitaminB12, B6.Vitamin D is available in weekly dose pattern as well as injection, just talk to your local doctor. Take ibuprofen to reduce pain and do ice fomentation.
Massage and physiotherapy may not help at this stage. We will talk about it once the blood reports are with us.

Hope this information suffices.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.
Dr XXXXXXX chugh
Virtual clinic at http://bit.ly/drmchugh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 days later
Thank you very much doctor. Sorry for the delayed response. Will take the further action and get back to you.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
Come back with blood test

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It's good to see you
I am sure you will get over your suffering. I shall be glad to help further.
Dr.chugh
Virtual clinic http://bit.ly/drmchugh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 19 hours later
Sure Doctor. Will get back to you.

Thanks and Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diet rich in calcium and vitamin D helps

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Beside medicine take diet rich in proteins (1gm/kg body weight) along with calcium and vitamin D.These helps in healing of stress fractures.
Dr.chugh