Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

160 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for pain in head for a 2 year old

Answered by
Dr. Albana Sejdini

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 5257 Questions

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 2 years son is having shooting pain on the left back side of his head it happens suddenly and it lasts for few seconds. He is screaming and crying while holding his head. After the pain is gone he seems half asleep all he wants is cuddle. So far it happend 5times this week. When I took him to ER they tread me like I was crazy and didn't do any tests. I want to pedriatrican and he said that it my be stress rellated which I don't believe in pls help me out!!!
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ear/eyes/intracranium issues to rule out first....

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I am sorry for the situation your son is in.

When a little child as your 2 years old son complaints of severe headaches, the following should be considered:
- recent trauma/injury he had
- he is an overactive child with strong personality at the point he would do everything he wants, does not accept to get order from you
- he might be suffering of any family problem you are going through recently
- eye problems (especially if he is watching TV for too long)

If nothing of what I mentioned earlier, then, can sit and discuss with his pediatrician if you need to run:
- EEC (electroencephalogram) to determine if there is any problem going on in his brain and to decide if can run other radiological examinations (e.g. ct-scan of the head).

- audiogram and ear examination to exclude ear problems.

You can observe the daily actions of your child when he is involving in games or activities with others (friends or family member) and observe carefully his reactions to different scenarios.

All these are necessary as your child is too young to complaint of headache. So, we must exclude problems to the :
- eyes
- ears
- intracranium

before confirming it is due to stress?!! This sounds strange as a young boy of 2 years old does not know to get stressed, he is enjoying playing. Unless, he has born with congenital defects.

Hope it helped! Let me know if I can assist you further!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 12 minutes later
He didnt have head injury and the pain happens in different situatin for example today it happen right after his nap and yesterday when we were playing with blocks, he never had and kind of flip outs in his behavior. His ears where checed twaice this week and everything is good, olso he wasnt born with any kind of disorder . Also we dont have any
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue with audiogram&complete blood work...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back dear,

At this point, I suggest to run audiogram which is not the same as common ear check-up. It will determine whether your son is having difficulties with hearing noises.

I also recommend to run EEG to exclude brain issues.

Eyes need to check together with a complete blood work and biochemistry balance.

If nothing will be found, then, psychological approach is advised to help him dominate the pain.

All the best!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Head injury

doctor1 MD

I hit my head 4 days ago. I am experiencing flue like symptoms. Nausea and dizziness when I stand for too long. I also had a rash breakout over my entire upper torso. The area of the trauma is now itchy on my scalp. My vision has improved. I had double vision less than 24 hours after the injury. This has improved. My face is puffy. I hit the back of my head on the left side. I do not have insurance and am wondering if I need to go to the ER. I seem to be very emotional. I only feel well when I am lying down. Could the rash have something to do with the head trauma, or could I have a virus separate from the head injury? What should be my coarse of action? I do feel better than I did a couple of days ago.

doctor1 MD

I am 67, 6 foot 4 inches, approx 230 lbs. Numerous symptoms: Upper spinal pain at the base of my skull; Lower spinal pain in the Lumbar region; frequent urination; diarrhea; occasional dizziness and tired a lot. I have a military history involving multiple head injuries, and personal assaults. I have been in three major auto accidents; in one, struck from my left side severely by a vehicle moving very fast. Pronounced dead at scene (Obvious error). March of 08, had tumor (Macro adenoma) removed from my pituitary. The frequent urination is about every one to two and a half hours. The longer part is not unusual for me, but for about four days, I have had frequent diarrhea and intense low back pain as well. I am on several meds, Hydrocodone, Simvastatin, Omeprazole, Levothyroxine, and Doxazosin Mesylate. I drink very very seldom (Alcoholic beverages) and only use the drugs prescribed, aside from occasional aspirin. I am also taking some vitamin supplements.

doctor1 MD

i got my head slammed into a door about a month ago. i never lost conciousness and i never went to a doctor. i still get random unexplained pains in the same spot where i was hit. what's causing this and is it normal

doctor1 MD

I continuously smell the odor of car exhaust no matter where I am. The odor is “stuck” in my nose. I take no prescription drugs. Just had annual physical with no chronic illness. This is a first.

doctor1 MD

I fell again this morning.I was hospitalised 3 weeks ago after another fall. They did a series of tests, but all were negative except for my balance.Fall reaction was terrible. Today I fell backwards, my walker in front of me-just reaching for...