Suggest treatment for pain in head for a 2 year old

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 2 years son is having shooting pain on the left back side of his head it happens suddenly and it lasts for few seconds. He is screaming and crying while holding his head. After the pain is gone he seems half asleep all he wants is cuddle. So far it happend 5times this week. When I took him to ER they tread me like I was crazy and didn't do any tests. I want to pedriatrican and he said that it my be stress rellated which I don't believe in pls help me out!!!
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ear/eyes/intracranium issues to rule out first....

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I am sorry for the situation your son is in.

When a little child as your 2 years old son complaints of severe headaches, the following should be considered:
- recent trauma/injury he had
- he is an overactive child with strong personality at the point he would do everything he wants, does not accept to get order from you
- he might be suffering of any family problem you are going through recently
- eye problems (especially if he is watching TV for too long)

If nothing of what I mentioned earlier, then, can sit and discuss with his pediatrician if you need to run:
- EEC (electroencephalogram) to determine if there is any problem going on in his brain and to decide if can run other radiological examinations (e.g. ct-scan of the head).

- audiogram and ear examination to exclude ear problems.

You can observe the daily actions of your child when he is involving in games or activities with others (friends or family member) and observe carefully his reactions to different scenarios.

All these are necessary as your child is too young to complaint of headache. So, we must exclude problems to the :
- eyes
- ears
- intracranium

before confirming it is due to stress?!! This sounds strange as a young boy of 2 years old does not know to get stressed, he is enjoying playing. Unless, he has born with congenital defects.

Hope it helped! Let me know if I can assist you further!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 12 minutes later
He didnt have head injury and the pain happens in different situatin for example today it happen right after his nap and yesterday when we were playing with blocks, he never had and kind of flip outs in his behavior. His ears where checed twaice this week and everything is good, olso he wasnt born with any kind of disorder . Also we dont have any
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue with audiogram&complete blood work...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back dear,

At this point, I suggest to run audiogram which is not the same as common ear check-up. It will determine whether your son is having difficulties with hearing noises.

I also recommend to run EEG to exclude brain issues.

Eyes need to check together with a complete blood work and biochemistry balance.

If nothing will be found, then, psychological approach is advised to help him dominate the pain.

All the best!
Dr.Albana