Suggest treatment for pain in head after an injury

Posted on Thu, 28 Jan 2016 in Head Injuries
Question: My partner fell down the stairs on Monday 21st Dec, and has 2 hairline #'s, one on each side of her head and a # ear bone as well. She naturally is in a lot of pain and cannot take the Codeine that they gave her with Levetiracetam, can she take Tramadol at all? She is a fragile 65 year old female. She came out of Hospital on Christmas Eve but is still very woozy when she moves or gets up.
Yours,
Suzanne.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Minor interaction, can take tramadol

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Tramadol lowers the level of levetiracetam in the body and can precipitate seizures in epileptic patients.
However, if there is no history of seizures or epilepsy, then she can take tramadol for pain relief.
Interaction between tramadol and levetiracetamare very rare and minor.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist