Suggest treatment for pain in esophagus following injury

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: 5 weeks ago I swallowed an egg that had been fried in bacon grease. There was some grease on the egg and when I swallowed it I burnt my throat and esophagus. Although my throat has healed I am still feeling a raw pain in my esophagus when I swallow. Also, a dull pain throughout the day in my chest and the middle of my back. Will this most probably heal itself in the coming weeks or should I have a Dr. physically look down my throat with a scope and check out if there is any damage? What damage might have occured?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consult gastro enterologist , get endoscopy done.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
It's been 5 weeks since you ate this egg.
Any wound or burn must have healed by now.
If symptoms are still persisting, I would suspect an oesophageal ulcer or erosive lesion in the wall of oesophagus.
In my opinion, I would suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and get an endoscopy done.
This will give a clear picture of what has happened.
In most cases, a patient would benefit from proton pump inhibitors + prokinetcs drugs.
Mucaine gel 10 ml thrice daily before food is also known to help in these cases.
Hope my answers have helped you.
Pleased to help you further. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 17 minutes later
The Dr. I saw prescribed Omeprazole to see if it might speed the healing process and scheduled an endoscopy. Because the endoscopy will cost me over $900 do you think I should take the Omeprazole for a month first. I don't want to pay the $900 just to have the Dr. tell me it will heal on its own in a few more weeks.

Answered by Dr. Deepashree 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes u can take.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your follow up query.
Yes , omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitors.
You can take it for another 4 weeks and see.
Take Mucaine syrup along with it.
These both together will help to heal the lesions.
Avoid oily and spicy foods.
Pleased to help you further. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 25 minutes later
Thank you for your response. One more question, if I proceed with this course of action and wait a month (taking Omeprazole/Mucaine syrup) to see if it will heal before I invest in the Endoscopy is there any danger of doing permanent damage to my esophagus. I am just trying to weigh the risks of waiting to the cost of the Endoscopy.
Hoping for a response to my last inquiry.
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
No danger.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, there is no danger in waiting.
You can get it done after a month.
No problem. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju