Suggest treatment for pain in elbow caused after lifting an object

Dr. Vidya KR

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was lifting an object with my left hand at a weird angle and something popped in my elbow toward the outside of it, now I have some pain in the elbow and weakness when trying to lift even a water bottle to drink.

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ligament or tendon tear

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

With your history there are two possibilities one ligament tear or tendon tear. with examination by physician which helps to confirm condition and to know extent of tear. From your explanation of symptoms it seems to be partial tear, which needs to be confirmed by examination.

For partial tear of ligaments we need to rest elbow in correct position for minimum 6 weeks to help in perfect healing.
For tendon tear depending on severity may need to suture tendon.

Hope I answered your query. Feel free to ask further related query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Vidya KR 8 hours later
Is this something I should see an orthopedic surgeon for, or would my family physician be able to take care of this? Also I really need to work today to finish a job, is there any chance of causing permanent damage if I use the the left arm/elbow today?

Thank You
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Orthopedic surgeon will be a better person

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for follow up query.

Orthopedic surgeon will be expert in examining your condition, but even family physician can also do this.

Its better to avoid work in left arm, its not about permanent damage, but it can result in further tear so more injury. Pain aggravates with work.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj