Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

137 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for pain in ears

Answered by
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1970

Answered : 7019 Questions

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a problem with my outer ear. It started nearly 3 years ago. I feel things in my ears but when I bring it out nothing. I am afraid I have ruined my ear. I have gone to different doctors and they have given me different creams & etc. one even did little surgery and thought cutting my ear would help.Its driving me crazy. Can you please help me. My e-mail address is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
systematic evaluation & cause specific treatment will help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query under health care magic platform.
I have gone through your query carefully.I do realize your feelings of restlessness. You have just had few creams/ a small cut to ear.. which seems to be empirical type of management.
* Feeling something in ear constantly can be from
- a number of causes involving external ear like-simple allergic reaction /various skin conditions( inflammation, blisters)/ fungal infection/ Collection of ear crust./ some times ear maggots/ ants / ear
- Cervical spinal problem( spondelitis/ slip disc/ degenerative changes )
resulting in irritation/ compression of nerve supplying outer ear/ ear drum, making it numb, more sensitive.. creating a false sensation of something in ear.
- Psychological belief.
* IN this context I would advise you to consult your family physician first He will examine you , get you investigated to find probable cause. He may offer you general medicines like anti allergic drugs/ anti fungal drugs ( if that is the cause of your problem ) if not he may refer you to a spinal surgeon/ psychiatrist.

- ENT doctor will examine you in detail / get you investigated & give you a specific cause & treatment which would relieve you of the problem.
- If he finds everything to be normal , he may refer you to spinal surgeon for further evaluation/
You will have X ray/ CT scan, MRI for diagnosing exact spinal cause.
It' s treatment consists of medicines ( Anti inflammatory drugs, Vitamin B12,)/ physiotherapy or physical therapy. Surgery is needed in few patients.
- Some people who don't have any physical problem have to take help of a psychologist < get counseling/ medication as per need to relieve the problem.
This way a systematic evaluation of the problem & cause specific treatment would definitely help you.
I hope the answer has been informative & helpful to you. Any follow yp query is welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to

Recent questions on  Vitamin b12

doctor1 MD

I would like to know if Meganeuron OD Plus has vitamin B12, and what are the uses of this drug. I also suffer from Carpal Tunnel. I have been taking Meganeuron since the last 1 year, but dont seem to be benefiting for Carpal Tunnel and I still feel very tired

doctor1 MD

body ache..left arm to leg tingling..discovered that i had low b12 tht was 145 and d3 was 6..took injections n now am 450 b12 and d3 is 33,again the same pain started...cud it be the deficiency or fibrocities ?i also had spondolysis of scapula nerve n got treated by accupressure

doctor1 MD

Vitamin D defiency or MRI? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My 2 yrs old nephew had Dihorrea and then suddenly he had extreme weakness and was lazy to move. Infact then docs advised for electrolytes test and advised Pidialite water to overcome Electrolytes. then also v performed Vitamin D test and found very less. A few docs advised MRI to him as his right hand and right leg movement is very less though he was very active before this illness. Now we started treatment for Vitamin D by oraly giving injections of Vitamin D once.Its now 2nd day. can anyone help whats the case a like and how long would the treatment could take?

doctor1 MD

when i am in heavy sleep i feel loss of sensation in my lower part of legs nd some fingers of my arm as my head is pulling all the blood to it.i get up ffrom my sleep suddenly nd slowly the limbs become taking pregabanyl nd methylcobalamin capsules ok for it?

doctor1 MD

getting pain in some parts of chest in random time any type of injections for D3 and B12 and dose for same as per reports

doctor1 MD

I am a 65 year old female. In the past two months I've been experiencing progressive numbness and tingling in my left hand. Initially, the numbness was just in the tip of my thumb; now it is my thumb, index and middle finger and progressing down...

doctor1 MD

I need help interpreting an EMG and NCS report. 1 Sensory nerve conduction studies of the bilateral sural nerves revealed no responses. 2 Motor studies of the bilateral peroneal nerves revealed diminished CMAP amplitudes throughout, but normal...