Suggest treatment for pain in ears

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a problem with my outer ear. It started nearly 3 years ago. I feel things in my ears but when I bring it out nothing. I am afraid I have ruined my ear. I have gone to different doctors and they have given me different creams & etc. one even did little surgery and thought cutting my ear would help.Its driving me crazy. Can you please help me. My e-mail address is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
systematic evaluation & cause specific treatment will help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for the query under health care magic platform.
I have gone through your query carefully.I do realize your feelings of restlessness. You have just had few creams/ a small cut to ear.. which seems to be empirical type of management.
* Feeling something in ear constantly can be from
- a number of causes involving external ear like-simple allergic reaction /various skin conditions( inflammation, blisters)/ fungal infection/ Collection of ear crust./ some times ear maggots/ ants / ticks.in ear
- Cervical spinal problem( spondelitis/ slip disc/ degenerative changes )
resulting in irritation/ compression of nerve supplying outer ear/ ear drum, making it numb, more sensitive.. creating a false sensation of something in ear.
- Psychological belief.
* IN this context I would advise you to consult your family physician first He will examine you , get you investigated to find probable cause. He may offer you general medicines like anti allergic drugs/ anti fungal drugs ( if that is the cause of your problem ) if not he may refer you to a spinal surgeon/ psychiatrist.

- ENT doctor will examine you in detail / get you investigated & give you a specific cause & treatment which would relieve you of the problem.
- If he finds everything to be normal , he may refer you to spinal surgeon for further evaluation/
You will have X ray/ CT scan, MRI for diagnosing exact spinal cause.
It' s treatment consists of medicines ( Anti inflammatory drugs, Vitamin B12,)/ physiotherapy or physical therapy. Surgery is needed in few patients.
- Some people who don't have any physical problem have to take help of a psychologist < get counseling/ medication as per need to relieve the problem.
This way a systematic evaluation of the problem & cause specific treatment would definitely help you.
I hope the answer has been informative & helpful to you. Any follow yp query is welcome.
Thanks.