Suggest treatment for pain in ear with vomiting and headache

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I feel pain while cold air goes into my ear. sometime it leads to headache and vomating. after take precaustions it gets cure also feel headache while sitting under fan.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
not to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome to healtcaremagic,

There is a tube called the eustachian tube that connects the ear to the nose. It maintains atmospheric pressure in the ear. When you suddenly get exposed to cold air, the muscles surrounding the tube undergo spasm leading to closing of the tube. This causes fall in the middle ear pressure which is responsible for the pain. The only solution to this is to avoid going in cold weather suddenly. You should let your body acclimatise to the cold weather slowly. Alternately cover your nose when you suddenly have to venture out in the cold.

Headache while sitting under the fan also can be explained. Turbulence of the air caused by a fan is transmitted to the nose when you breathe in. This causes the sinus openings in your nose to get blocked which gives rise to headache. The only solution to this problem is to avoid sitting directly under the fan.

I hope I have answered your queries.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi
Follow up: Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 hours later
thanks for your answer, it is selfexplanatory .

But when i put cotton in the ear , cold air dont trouble me , but in your answer you only told about nose. I am little bit confused.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
difficult to explain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,

The ear canal is innervated by many different nerves. The skin in the ear canal is very thin, delicate and sensitive. Irritation of the skin by sudden cold wind can act as a trigger for a migraine attack. Other than that I cannot think of any other possibilities. Keep yourself warm is all I can say.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi