Suggest treatment for pain in abdomen

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I think I might be having a kidney stone or an appendicitis attack. I have pain in the upper right quadrant of my right side starting at my belly button and the pain comes and goes and travels to the right kidney. I have a low grade temp right around 100 degrees. The pain comes and goes and I have a dull ache constantly. No pain when I urinate; no blood in my urine. I have been drinking cranberry juice and water.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not likely kidney stones or kidney infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Appendicitis is associated with a fever , the pain starts around the umbilicus then ,in most, is then felt in the right lower part of the abdomen. Also there is a loss of appetite and in some, nausea.

In a kidney stone, there is usually severe intermittent pain that goes 'from loin to groin'. This means it starts from the back (on the sides where kidneys are located) and is felt towards to groin.
Not usually associated in fever in most.
Out of the two, with the presence of a slight fever, this is less likely.

Since the pain is in the umbilical region going towards the right side then it may be related to the appendix or other structures on the right side of the abdomen like the gallbladder.

The absence of any pain on urination or any increase in frequency of urination means urinary tract infection is not likely. Cranberry juice is helpful if there is any indication of urinary tract infection.

The only way to distinguish the cause of abdominal pain is by physical examination of the abdomen to determine:(1)presence of tenderness
(2)if present then your doctor would determine the site of maximum tenderness
(3)he or she would then look for abdominal signs such as rebound tenderness or something called guarding
(4)listen for bowel sounds with the stethoscope

You need to consider visiting your doctor for an assessment to determine the reason for the abdominal pain. In addition to physical examination, imaging such as ultrasound may be needed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions