Suggest treatment for pain in abdomen and below rib cage

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: pain across the abdomen, right below the rib cage, like a balloon growing inside. sometimes very sharp on the right rear. seems to be worse when laying down. gall bladder removed 2004. have had kidney stones before, silica type. also,very short of breath, this has been about 20 months and getting worse
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stomach discomfort / gastritis with / without congestive heart problem?

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. pain in right hypochondrium referring to back shooting and stabbing in nature worsened on lying down associated with shortness of breath with history of gall bladder removed and kidney stones is likely a hepatobiliary spasm with involvement of stomach inflammation and / or pancreas.

However With all the tests unremarkable and clear odds for simple gastric discomfort in guise of gastritis is very likely. Thyroid problems and Use of green tea extracts may also trigger that so i would like you to reduce the green tea extracts and keep an eye on your thyroid hormones.

Take some home remedies like avoiding stimulants like caffeine, cola beverages, alcohol, tea, sweets and chocolates. Drink plenty of fluids and take some pepto and antispasmodics like phloroglucinols available over the counter.

As far as shortness of breath is concerned i would advise cardiac perfusion studies like echocardiograms and ekg to rule out congestive heart problems. Congestive hepatopathy secondary to failing heart may also give such painful sensation in right hypochondrium. Your reports does not indicate any clue of these perfusion studies so i want you to have them including stress test. Lets see if those show up.

If you don't have any pulmonary history like asthma or some chronic obstructive disease then i wont consider that as the cause of this dyspnea and had it been that would have shown on x rays and radiographs you had.

Nut shell, it is likely a gastric discomfort and spasmodic viscera with our without a congestive heart . It needs work up and evaluation for further management. Home remedies and diet and lifestyle modifications and compliance to the medications is advised.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan