Suggest treatment for pain from osteoarthritis

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 in Arthritis
Question: is there medication I can take to ease the pain from osteoarthritis. its hard to get more than 6 hours of sleep without waking. up with stiff and hurting lower back hips and knees. motrin helps the swelling in my knees when I am walking all day at work
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pain killers and exercises will help.

Detailed Answer:
For osteoarthritis, weight reduction is the main treatment along with medicines to decrease pain like NSAID's - paracetamol, aceclofenac etc., Life style modifications like avoiding sitting cross legged, squatting, using XXXXXXX type toilets will decrease the rate of progression of osteoarthritis. Exercises like quadriceps strengthening, swimming, straight leg raising will help in improving the muscle strength around the knee and will help in decreasing pain.
Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years. You can take them after consulting an orthopaedic surgeon.

Many of my patients do get relief by yoga - pranayama and XXXXXXX XXXXXXX You can start with these under the guidance of an expert.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
thanks Dr I lost 40 pounds and started riding my bike again it has helped a great deal I will ask my Dr about the NSAID type meds:)
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Prescription NSAIDs will help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. Stronger prescription NSAIDs with calcium and vitamin D3 supplements will help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.