Suggest treatment for pain due to umbilical hernia

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had an umbilical hernia for about 2 years with no problems but about a month ago i started having abdominal discomfort. It started in my upper abdomen and moved to the belly button area and then lower. I went to an urgent care provider and they said it was the hernia and sent me for a CT scan. The scan showed no abnormalities except the 2cm hernia. The pain from it ranges from mild to moderate with some occasional sharp pains. It has started affecting my daily life and i am going to consult with a hernia surgeon in two days. My comcern today is that i have also had digestive issues which i attributed to worrying about the hernia. Occasionally i would see red pieces in my stool, but could trace back to bits of undigested food, carrots, red pepper, watermelon. Today i had two bowel movements. First was normal, no red. Second one about 3 hours later was gray and black. This has me worried about bleeding as there was a lot of black. Black part was kind of mucous like but not sure if it could be considered tarry. Now i have a mild stomach ache. A little medical history: last year i was diagnosed with gastritis and colon polyps and had two large, non cancerous poylps removed. I'm not nausiated, just a stomach ache and dull pain around the navel area. Is this a medical emergency? Very worried about this.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following answer...

Detailed Answer:

If your stool is black and loose, then, should go to ER for further evaluations. Having black, loose stool are called "melena" and might indicate possible problems related to upper GI tract (bleeding).

The red pieces in your stool might be due to:
- possible food colorings
- maldigested foods you consumes (e.g. watermelon, tomato, etc.)
- fresh blood (lower GI tract bleeding: hemorrhoids, or colon polyps)

Based on your previous health history and current health problems, I suggest to consult with GI specialist as soon as possible for further evaluation and to start taking treatment in time.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Klerida
If anything unclear, do write me back!

Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 5 minutes later
I feel ok, orher than the umbilical hernia discomfort. Wouldnt i have more symptoms if this was an emergency? Going to see the doc in two days
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 41 hours later
Brief Answer:
If you feel ok,can wait until next appointment...

Detailed Answer:

You are reporting stomach ache and dull pain around navel area, which are indicative for possible stomach problems (gastritis).

The pain is considered emergency in cases of severe, sharp pain, that won't let you breathe or move; difficult to palpate your abdomen and associated with general malaise, fever or other symptoms.

If you do not have such problems, can wait until the next scheduled appointment with your doctor.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida