Suggest treatment for pain due to osteoarthritis

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Arthritis
Question: Hi. My mother aged 57 (weight 65 kgs) is suffering from Arthritis from 2 years.She is under medication.Recently she is complaining more pain and is unable to walk properly.
Please suggest some thing along with some good doctors in south banglore.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to osteoarthritis.

Detailed Answer:
According to the symptoms the pain that your mother is having is likely to be due to osteoarthritis with osteoporosis. I will advise you to get her standing X ray knees and if required MRI scan can be done. Other investigations needed are Serum B12 and Serum Vit D levels and start supplements according to the levels.
If there is severe destruction of menisci then arthroscopic shaving can be done.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and TENS will help, along with knee exercises
For level of osteoporosis DEXA scan can be done to start proper medications.
Life style changes will help in reducing pain which include,
LOAD REDUCTION: Protecting the joints from excessive load may slow down the rate of cartilage loss. It is also effective in relieving pain. Avoiding activities like climbing stairs and using a walking stick are worthwhile.
ACTIVITY MODIFICATION –
USING CANES: Assistive devices can make it easier to go about your day without stressing the painful joint. A cane may take weight off her knee or hip as she walks. Carry the cane in the hand opposite the leg that hurts.

VISCOSUPPLEMENTATION: Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years.
You can consult an orthopaedic surgeon at Apollo or Fortis XXXXXXX
Many of my patients do get relief by yoga - pranayama and XXXXXXX XXXXXXX She can start with these under the guidance of an expert.
If your mother takes medicine for osteoporosis, she will also need to get enough calcium and vitamin D, eat a healthy diet, and exercise regularly. A large part of treating or reducing the effects of osteoporosis is getting enough calcium and vitamin D.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal