Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for pain due to osteoarthritis

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10407 Questions
Hi. My mother aged 57 (weight 65 kgs) is suffering from Arthritis from 2 years.She is under medication.Recently she is complaining more pain and is unable to walk properly.
Please suggest some thing along with some good doctors in south banglore.
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to osteoarthritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
According to the symptoms the pain that your mother is having is likely to be due to osteoarthritis with osteoporosis. I will advise you to get her standing X ray knees and if required MRI scan can be done. Other investigations needed are Serum B12 and Serum Vit D levels and start supplements according to the levels.
If there is severe destruction of menisci then arthroscopic shaving can be done.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and TENS will help, along with knee exercises
For level of osteoporosis DEXA scan can be done to start proper medications.
Life style changes will help in reducing pain which include,
LOAD REDUCTION: Protecting the joints from excessive load may slow down the rate of cartilage loss. It is also effective in relieving pain. Avoiding activities like climbing stairs and using a walking stick are worthwhile.
USING CANES: Assistive devices can make it easier to go about your day without stressing the painful joint. A cane may take weight off her knee or hip as she walks. Carry the cane in the hand opposite the leg that hurts.

VISCOSUPPLEMENTATION: Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years.
You can consult an orthopaedic surgeon at Apollo or Fortis XXXXXXX
Many of my patients do get relief by yoga - pranayama and XXXXXXX XXXXXXX She can start with these under the guidance of an expert.
If your mother takes medicine for osteoporosis, she will also need to get enough calcium and vitamin D, eat a healthy diet, and exercise regularly. A large part of treating or reducing the effects of osteoporosis is getting enough calcium and vitamin D.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor