Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for pain due to degenerative disc disease

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10406 Questions
Hi, I have been suffering with degenerative disc disease since the early 90's and have undergone two cervical surgeries, the last one in 2003. I was forced to retire in 2005 when the pain got intolerable. I have been under the care pf a neurological pain specialist since that time. Since that time I have been taking percocet 10/325 4x per day, kadian 80mg 2x per day and lyrica 150mg 2x per day....lyrica was added in the last 18 months. These doses simply aren't working anymore after all of these years but for whatever reason my Doc simply isn't hearing me when I tell him I'm at my witts end. I'm 70 years old. What do I do?
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Physical therapy can help. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain due to degenerative disc disease gradually increases over time as the degenerative changes keep on increasing. The pain medicines that you are taking are insufficient to treat your pain but stronger medicines will be associated with more severe side effects. Perhaps physiotherapy, continued use of pain relieving medications along with alternative therapies such as accupunture may be helpful. Discuss about these options with the neurologist. Adding a muscle relaxant will also be helpful. Few other options of treatment which may be useful in reducing pain and maintaining functional lifestyle are 'Transcutaneous Electric Nerve stimulation (TENS) units', relaxation techniques, occupational and physical therapy approaches. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor