Suggest treatment for pain due to ankle sprain

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I sprained my ankle and had an MRI done two torn ligaments, peroneal tendinosis and ocd of medial XXXXXXX dome. I was in a lace up brace, then got a cam boot, then sent to foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon who put me in a short leg walking cast. I also have osteoarthritis in both knees and sprained the left knee in the same fall.

I have been walking on the cast with one or two crutches orthopedic surgeon said eventually I should be able to walk without crutches just the cast. I can't get there yet. I am having pain in the cast both at the ocd site and lateral malleolus. Also of concern my left knee has been "catching" and painful and feels like it would give out at times. By the end of my day I am in pain. I have been elevating and icing. Am I doing too much? My doc seems to want me to walk on it. This has been going on since March.

Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
3 month is sufficient time for ligament to heal

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. First thing first I usually treat my patient with torn ligament for 6-8 week of immobilization in a cast followed by exercises to build muscle strength and get over the joint stiffness. Physiotherapy in form of wax bath and TENS also helps.You may discuss about the cast removal followed by physiotherapy.As to me 3 months is sufficient time for a ligament to heal.

As far as your left knee is concerned it needs further physical examination to find out the cause like meniscus and cruciate ligament tear.This may be done by MRI of left knee.
Hope this helps and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain due to ankle sprain 7 hours later
Yes I believe the ligaments healed in a stretched position. I did physical therapy and it did not help. I am casted for the osteochondral defect on my talus which has not healed.

I still have pain on the outer ankle as well but it is the bone injury that I am in the cast for. My concern is my knee worsening as it is arthritic and the pain worsening in the ankle as I put more weight on it. Any ideas?

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may wear removable splint

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It’s good to see you
I have my sympathy with you but 3 month time is sufficient time for osteochondral defect to heal. This may be assessed by repeat MRI or by arthroscopic examination of ankle.
The pain could be because of stiffness.So, my advice would be you may have the removable cast and do the no weight bearing exercises of ankle after discussion with your treating doctor.
For your knee pain hot water fomentation along with exercises like quadriceps strengthening, straight leg rising will help in improving the muscle strength around the knee and will help in decreasing pain.
Hope your query is answered and please do not hesitate if you have further query I shall be glad to answer it.