Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for pain due to ankle sprain

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 1619 Questions
I sprained my ankle and had an MRI done two torn ligaments, peroneal tendinosis and ocd of medial XXXXXXX dome. I was in a lace up brace, then got a cam boot, then sent to foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon who put me in a short leg walking cast. I also have osteoarthritis in both knees and sprained the left knee in the same fall.

I have been walking on the cast with one or two crutches orthopedic surgeon said eventually I should be able to walk without crutches just the cast. I can't get there yet. I am having pain in the cast both at the ocd site and lateral malleolus. Also of concern my left knee has been "catching" and painful and feels like it would give out at times. By the end of my day I am in pain. I have been elevating and icing. Am I doing too much? My doc seems to want me to walk on it. This has been going on since March.

Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
3 month is sufficient time for ligament to heal

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. First thing first I usually treat my patient with torn ligament for 6-8 week of immobilization in a cast followed by exercises to build muscle strength and get over the joint stiffness. Physiotherapy in form of wax bath and TENS also helps.You may discuss about the cast removal followed by physiotherapy.As to me 3 months is sufficient time for a ligament to heal.

As far as your left knee is concerned it needs further physical examination to find out the cause like meniscus and cruciate ligament tear.This may be done by MRI of left knee.
Hope this helps and I shall be glad to answer any further query.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain due to ankle sprain 7 hours later
Yes I believe the ligaments healed in a stretched position. I did physical therapy and it did not help. I am casted for the osteochondral defect on my talus which has not healed.

I still have pain on the outer ankle as well but it is the bone injury that I am in the cast for. My concern is my knee worsening as it is arthritic and the pain worsening in the ankle as I put more weight on it. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may wear removable splint

Detailed Answer:
It’s good to see you
I have my sympathy with you but 3 month time is sufficient time for osteochondral defect to heal. This may be assessed by repeat MRI or by arthroscopic examination of ankle.
The pain could be because of stiffness.So, my advice would be you may have the removable cast and do the no weight bearing exercises of ankle after discussion with your treating doctor.
For your knee pain hot water fomentation along with exercises like quadriceps strengthening, straight leg rising will help in improving the muscle strength around the knee and will help in decreasing pain.
Hope your query is answered and please do not hesitate if you have further query I shall be glad to answer it.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor