Suggest treatment for pain due ti broken ribs

Dr. Girija Kumari

Anesthesiologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Pain Management
Question: I have broken ribs and paracetamol is helping me with the pain for the past 2 weeks . I am still in pain can i continue to use paracetamol for how long without being too risky?
Answered by Dr. Girija Kumari 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can continue the drug

Detailed Answer:
paracetomol is the safe drug when used in adequate dose. Donot exceed 15mg/kg of paracetomol DAILY.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Girija Kumari 46 minutes later
I am 97 kg so i can only take 3 tablets of panadol daily only ? (1500 mg paracetamol)??
Answered by Dr. Girija Kumari 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
do not exceed 4gms/day of paracetomol...

Detailed Answer:

Paracetomol dose is 10 - 15mg/kg/dose. Maximum entire dose per day should not exceed 4gms beyond which toxicity occurs. It is one of the simple and safe analgesic.

Broken ribs heals by itself over time.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad