Suggest treatment for pain caused due to humerus fracture

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hello. I had an accident over a year ago. I was operated on the humerus (L) over a year ago.
Since the injury was bad an artificial bone graft was done.

However, I still get a lot of pain and there is tenderness where the plates are.
- I am on constant pain killers (alternate between Tramadol and diclofenac)
- Had Gemcal injections for two month (just completed)

X-ray still does not show a complete UNION.

Would i need another surgery?

Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get the new X-ray done and send it

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Is there reduction of pain and swelling with the passing months/day?
There are visible good sign of union in the x-ray of March as compare to February. To have a final word I would recommend a new x-ray and send the picture.
I am hopeful of union.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain caused due to humerus fracture 12 hours later
Dear Dr Chugh.

Thank you for your reply.
It is more than a year - (1 year 7 months) and the Union has not happen.

Could you help with prescribing some medication that can escalate healing.
Also, I have got contrast opinions from here. Some Docs have asked me to get a fresh surgery done wherein they would do a human graft as the one done during the first surgery was an artificial one.

Look forward to your reply.

Regards-XXXX

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may have cap. Union, it may help

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you
Based on your symptoms and x-ray it looks fracture has gone into non union. The best part is that the plate is still holding to bone. In this the best option with almost certain chance of union is to go for bone grafting (revision surgery).
In the meanwhile you may have cap. Union (Had Jodi/Cissus Quadrangularis) in dose of one capsule three times a day.It helps in non union.
My best wishes are with you.
Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain caused due to humerus fracture 38 hours later
Dear Dr Chug.

I have sent you the Xray that was taken today.

Look forward to your reply.

Many Thanks-XXXX

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
As follows

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have seen the latest x-ray which show some improvement in union but a clinical examination is must looking for Tenderness,swelling,movement With or without pain, Is must to have a final opinion’s scan is also a good tool to assess union.
Is the pain decreasing day by day?
Take care and wishing you early recovery.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain caused due to humerus fracture 21 minutes later
Thank you for your valuable inputs Dr Chugh.

Truly valuable.

Warm regards-XXXX

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Keep me posted

Detailed Answer:
Hello
You are welcome. Thanks for the nice words. Do keep me posted about any new development. You can reach me directly at http://bit.ly/drmchugh
All the best.