Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for pain caused due to humerus fracture

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 1619 Questions
Hello. I had an accident over a year ago. I was operated on the humerus (L) over a year ago.
Since the injury was bad an artificial bone graft was done.

However, I still get a lot of pain and there is tenderness where the plates are.
- I am on constant pain killers (alternate between Tramadol and diclofenac)
- Had Gemcal injections for two month (just completed)

X-ray still does not show a complete UNION.

Would i need another surgery?

Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get the new X-ray done and send it

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Is there reduction of pain and swelling with the passing months/day?
There are visible good sign of union in the x-ray of March as compare to February. To have a final word I would recommend a new x-ray and send the picture.
I am hopeful of union.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain caused due to humerus fracture 12 hours later
Dear Dr Chugh.

Thank you for your reply.
It is more than a year - (1 year 7 months) and the Union has not happen.

Could you help with prescribing some medication that can escalate healing.
Also, I have got contrast opinions from here. Some Docs have asked me to get a fresh surgery done wherein they would do a human graft as the one done during the first surgery was an artificial one.

Look forward to your reply.

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may have cap. Union, it may help

Detailed Answer:
It's good to see you
Based on your symptoms and x-ray it looks fracture has gone into non union. The best part is that the plate is still holding to bone. In this the best option with almost certain chance of union is to go for bone grafting (revision surgery).
In the meanwhile you may have cap. Union (Had Jodi/Cissus Quadrangularis) in dose of one capsule three times a day.It helps in non union.
My best wishes are with you.
Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain caused due to humerus fracture 38 hours later
Dear Dr Chug.

I have sent you the Xray that was taken today.

Look forward to your reply.

Many Thanks-XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
As follows

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the latest x-ray which show some improvement in union but a clinical examination is must looking for Tenderness,swelling,movement With or without pain, Is must to have a final opinion’s scan is also a good tool to assess union.
Is the pain decreasing day by day?
Take care and wishing you early recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain caused due to humerus fracture 21 minutes later
Thank you for your valuable inputs Dr Chugh.

Truly valuable.

Warm regards-XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Keep me posted

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome. Thanks for the nice words. Do keep me posted about any new development. You can reach me directly at
All the best.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor