Suggest treatment for pain around the fingernails

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 11 Jul 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I'm trying to determine why I over a period of time I have developed callused painful skin around and under my fingernails and I may treat it. Are you able to prescribe medication if necessary?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on your description of the symptoms and history, it appears to be related to a condition called onycholysis which is a fungal infection of the nail. It may also involve loosening and separation of a fingernail from the nail bed starting at the tip of the nail and progressing further.

Anti fungal medication after clinical confirmation can be initiated in consult with a dermatologist. For confirmation of diagnosis, KOH test and fungal culture can be advised, first.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil