• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pain and weakness in the knee

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am an above kee amputee. I have a prosthetic knee that gives no support when I am getting up or sitting down. I feel I began with a very poor prothesist. I have gone to another one now but Medicare will not pay for the micrprosser knee that I need. I have had a knee replacement and revision on my remaining knee. It is still very painful and weak. My total weight is on this knee when I am rising from a sitting position. Do you have any suggestions for obtaining a better knee. Age 66, female. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use a better prosthesis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

I can understand the amount of pain that you must be going through while getting up or sitting down.

Now that you already have had a knee replacement and a revision surgery on your remaining knee,it would be a wise decision to avoid getting another surgery done on this knee as this will aggravate your problems and make your knee even weaker.

Instead ,i would suggest changing your prosthetic knee with a better knee structure and endurance.
Get a prosthetic knee with a better load bearing capacity and flexibility.

You can talk to your prosthetist and orthopaedician about this.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 9 hours later
I am aware of the information you have given me. I will not have any more surgery on my knee. How can I get medicare to approve this new knee?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
medical certificate

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,

You need to check with your local insurance company regarding the clauses,terms and conditions for medicare of new prosthesis.

Getting a medical certificate from your treating doctor mentioning the problems with the present one and the need of a new sturdy load bearing prosthesis may help.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon