Suggest treatment for pain and vaginal discharge caused by cervical fibroid

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi, I am a post menopausal woman age 55 with a submucosal fibroid approx 5cm in size which has lodged itself in my cervix which is now dilated to approx 6cm. It is quite painful with the pain being almost constant in my lower back although the bleeding has somewhat subsided am leaking a yellowish fluid constantly and urination is also quite frequent. My gynecologist is recommending a hysterectomy I am not ready for that or the psychological burden. Please tell me what choices I have if any. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Isolated fibroid removal is an option. TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY SEEMS BEST IN THI

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query

I do understand this could be psychologically burdensome. However, your description of the size and symptoms you are experience make me to think that the proposition of the gynecologist is ideal. The fibroid is symptomatic due to the pain and bleeding and its size and deserved removal.

An option could be removing only the fibroid and allowing the rest of the uterus in place. However, rate and risk of fibroids growing again is high and bleeding during isolated fibroid removal is also high. Removal of uterus saves repeated fibroid removals in case of relapse and any age related diseases like cervical and uterine cancer.

I do understand fibroid removal through endoscopy is possible. But this clinical scenario in my opinion makes me to encourage you to consider a complete hysterectomy as advised by your gynecologist.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar