Suggest treatment for pain and swelling on shoulder

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 1 Apr 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Suddenly once in a month I get a swelling in either of my shoulder and the pain starts from shoulder till the chick bone of that side. The pain lasts for 2 days in one shoulder and then stops for one day and then again 2 more days on other side. Please guide what exactly is this diesease.
Also note that I have migraine from my mother
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to get x Ray or ultrasound of shoulder

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and I think that it can be due to tendon injury or subacromial bursitis. In these there is accumulation of fluid inside shoulder and it causes swelling and pain. Also it can be related to your pain. So I would suggest you to get x Ray and ultrasound examination of the shoulder when there is swelling present . It will give use idea if it is due to fluid accumulation or calcium deposit. According to that we can plan further management.
1. If x Ray is normal and USG shows fluid than you can be benefitted from hot water fomentation and short wave dithermy.
2. Tablet Brufen 400 mg one to two daily helps.
3. Avoid any massage or exercises at this time.
4. If there is calcium deposit than it can be treated with arthroscopy or needle aspiration.
I hope these steps will help you, Let me know if there is any other follow up questions.
thanks