Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in toes

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was playing squash earlier today. Somehow I hurt my toes and when I got back, it swelled a little. It hurts pretty bad right now. Should I ice it or it will be fine a couple of days after
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you need to ice it....

Detailed Answer:

It seems you have sustained an injury. Since there is a visible swelling it needs to be iced. Icing prevent worsening of inflammation therefore is highly recommended here. I will also recommend that you keep this limb elevated and avoid bearing weight normally for next few days.

I would also like to start you on antiinflammatory pain killers. Pain killers that are available over the counter are not that effective in such injuries as per my knowledge. Prescription medicines such as aceclofenac are better drugs. Therefore it would be worthwhile to see a doctor. Besides, it would also be better to take a course of antibiotic such as cefixime to prevent infection.

Hope I have answered your query .

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepika Patil 2 days later
Doctor, are the antibiotics available over the counter? Or I would have to see a doctor? Also, now when pressure applied in the are, watery fluid oozes out through the side of nail. Is it a nail injury then?
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see a doctor

Detailed Answer:

Antibiotics are not available over the counter. So you need to see a doctor. He will also access the wound, do the dressing in addition to giving the prescriptions.

Yes, it may be related to toe/nail infection. I would also advice you to get a tetanus shot.

Get Well Soon.

Dr. Deepika Patil