Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in the right foot

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Significant acute pain and swelling in right foot around the big toe knuckle. Started 24 hours ago.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be gout.

Detailed Answer:
Pain and swelling in great toe can be due to gouty arthritis. Gout happens when there are increased uric acid levels in the blood and the uric acid crystals start depositing in the joint capsules causing the joint inflammation.
It can happen due to decreased excretion of urates by kidney, dietary changes or due to genetic predisposition.
It is associated with consumption of alcohol, seafood and meat.
Taking a diet rich in vitamin C, dairy products and coffee is likely to help in improvement of symptoms.
Drink plenty of water daily to help the kidneys clear the uric acid. Reducing meat intake will also help a little. If it is causing you symptoms, you can seek medical help and ask your doctor to prescribe you some analgesics and specific medicines which increase the uric acid excretion from the kidneys.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal