Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in the right ankle

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have pain in my right ankle when walking
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NEEDS TO BE INVESTIGATED

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Hope this message finds you in good health.
I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern.
I generally see many cases like this at my clinic.I give them a splint,rest,analgesics,anti-inflammatory tablets and ice pack till the pain reduces to some extent. Then i get an xray and if necessary an mri done to find out the extent of inflammation.

In your case,there are 3 possibilities-
POSSIBILITY 1. Soft tissue inflammation-only the soft tissues around the knee might have been inflammed causing pain on weight bearing / walking.

POSSIBILITY 2. Ligament strain- unknowingly,there may be a partial or complete strain to one of the 6 ligaments in and around the knee,that may be causing painful movemets

POSSIBILITY 3.raised uric acid levels- this can cause pain,inflammation due to deposition of uric acid crystals at some sites,without getting injured.

But i assure one thing, even if it is either of the above 3,all have a good prognosis and you should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about.     

I would suggest you a few things to be done. Start on analgesics,anti-inflammatory tablets,ice pack crepe bandage and leg elevation.Avoid giving complete weight on the affected limb till the pain subsides.
If the symptoms still persist,get an xray / mri of the ankle done to find out the exact cause of the pain.
You should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you.     
I hope your question has been answered.
If you have any follow-up queries,feel free to consult me anytime.
Thanks,Take care,God bless. Wish you a healthy life : )

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng