Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in the knee

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Having knee 'pain'. Initially presented as a 'funny bone' feel under kneecap when up or down stairs. This continued for ~ 2 was, got worse when had to take a couple of plane flights. Over the weekend pushed a lawn spreader for a couple of hours two days in a row. The 'funny bone' 9nerve twinge) has subsided, now leaving a 'strained feeling. Some feel of swelling tightness in joint. Normal walking does not hurt, unless there is a twisting motion. Also, placing finger on knee when flexing/extending gives a very 'creaking' sensation.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
wearing a knee support with hot massages and leg elevation will be helpful for most of cases else physical and laboratory investigations may be needed .

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using healthcaremagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

In my opinion that could be a kind of arthritis , tendinitis or inflammation around your knee joint causes such painful sensation and swelling in your knee .
you may use NSAIDs (painkillers) like advil tabs when needed , hot massages with topical gels , maintain a high fluid intake and a health life style and low salt and protein meals , sometimes steroid tabs or injections are prescribed , avoid overweight , vigorous movements and bad sleeping or sitting postures .
wearing a knee support , avoiding bending your legs and standing for a long time with leg elevation will be effective for your swelling and will support your knees from twisting and making this creaking sensation .
In more severe cases with more knee effusion and pain needle aspiration may be needed so i suggest X rays and MRI for proper evaluation and management .

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T