Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in the big toe

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I ha e swelling in the joint in my big toe now the lower side of the ball of the foot is swollen and painful
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of gout

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Pain and swelling in and around the big toe region usually occurs due to raised uric acid levels in blood.

Normally we have uric acid in blood (normal levels-below 6 mg/dL).

If the level rises above this level,then uric acid crystals form which are deposited in and around the soft tissues of big toe causing pain and inflammation.

I hope that you did not have any trauma to the big toe.

You should get your blood serum uric acid levels checked.

If the levels are raised ,then you should start on colchicine / allorpurinol tablets to lower the levels back to normal.Once the levels come back within normal range,pain and swelling will automatically reduce.

Taking anti inflammatory tablets like ibuprofen/paracetamol will help.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 25 minutes later
Thanks I am not able to use anti flamotarys I am allergic any other option

Other ideas if I cannot take Advil rtc
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
plain paracetamol

Detailed Answer:
If you are allergic to anti inflammatory tablets,you can just take plain paracetamol with fibrinolytic tablets like trypsin,chymotrypsin,serratiopeptidase.

Thanks