Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

179 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in the ankle after injury

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 11449 Questions

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have this off walk basically putting pressure on the right side of my right foot. My ankle was broke when I was 7 years old now in my 40's. my ankle joint gets this huge bubble about the size of a soft ball nightly I try to massage or stretch the foot muscles out nightly but it has this irritation and stiffness and then when I go to bed I keep getting this sharp pain in the ankle joint area like a charley horse. I have to get up and stand on it. What should I do about this it's very irritating and I'm on my feet and walking all day army job.?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be post traumatic arthritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain and swelling in the ankle that you have at night can be due to post traumatic arthritis. It can happen due to an old injury in the area. Standing on your feet whole day aggravates the swelling. In addition to pain killers you need to do a hot compress and keep the leg elevated on two pillows at night. Taking a muscle relaxant will also help. You can also use an elastic ankle brace during the day to provide extra support to the area.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Muscle relaxant

doctor1 MD

Six months ago, I was dancing (I know it is isn t a sport, but my injury is close), and I was doing a full split while I slipped and split fully and too fast. Since then, on my left leg, I have been experiencing pain whenever I stretch . This pain is localised to one long line from my groin to mid-thigh, on the inner side of the leg. I would like to know if the injury is serious, what type of doctor I should consult, and if muscle relaxants (like Moov and Volini) will help, along with hot and cold foamentation and wrapping the injured area with a crepe bandage .

doctor1 MD

hello. My partner is on 5 mg ramipril and his bp is well controlled. today he had a sauna , was very hot and sniffed a lot of isopropyl nitrite...poppers...after about a few minutes he passed out for a few seconds and twice more. hes ok now. was this the cause as we had to go to hospital and they said his bp had dropeed very low. also his hand went blue during the episode

doctor1 MD

Dear there, I have got Bell s Palsy last September, I have been improving. Unfortunately this month I have been facing an awkward symptoms in my left side of the face. I have pain behind my left ear (I think it is the 7th nerve). In the same time, when I close or blink my left eye, the muscle around my lips is contracted. Also, when I move my nose muscle, my eye lid also contracted. So. I went to see a neurologist, he told me that I have got Clonic Hemifacial Spasm !! he gave a medical prescription : 1- baclofen (5 mg) once daily. 2- physical therapy (Electrical muscle stimulation (EMS) I have been searching about this condition. I can t believe that I have got Clonic Hemifacial Spasm because I have been watching a medical video about patients with the same condition and it seems different from the condition that I have got.. I went to another neurologist. He told me that I have got Synkinesis !! So, am I having Clonic Hemifacial Spasm or Synkinesis ? and what should I do ? thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

doctor1 MD

after a knee replacement my friend is in severe pain - oxycodone/acetaminophen 10/325mlg & Carisoprodol (Soma) 350mlg is not touching the pain. She is in FL her dr. is away - can she double the oxy? She is a larger size & maybe the dosage is not enough. She will call the dr when he returns but for now????

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed with spondylothesis of the L5 and S1 region. I have had an mri and x-rays for my back. I had an epidural injection(2) in Nov in my back which seemed to help the pain going down my legs for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I...

doctor1 MD

Since yesterday, I have a sharp pain in my right leg at the knee, and above, and the right buttock. It s sharp, stabbing pain in the knee and buttock. Nothing seems to help it (e.g. Ibuprofen , changing position (standing, sitting, laying,...

doctor1 MD

I have had pretty sharp pain under my left shoulder blade for the past three days. I was thinking a pulled muscle but I am wondering if it could be something else. It seems to be a little high to be an organ but I am not sure. It is at the bottom...