Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in the ankle after injury

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have this off walk basically putting pressure on the right side of my right foot. My ankle was broke when I was 7 years old now in my 40's. my ankle joint gets this huge bubble about the size of a soft ball nightly I try to massage or stretch the foot muscles out nightly but it has this irritation and stiffness and then when I go to bed I keep getting this sharp pain in the ankle joint area like a charley horse. I have to get up and stand on it. What should I do about this it's very irritating and I'm on my feet and walking all day army job.?
Help
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be post traumatic arthritis.

Detailed Answer:
The pain and swelling in the ankle that you have at night can be due to post traumatic arthritis. It can happen due to an old injury in the area. Standing on your feet whole day aggravates the swelling. In addition to pain killers you need to do a hot compress and keep the leg elevated on two pillows at night. Taking a muscle relaxant will also help. You can also use an elastic ankle brace during the day to provide extra support to the area.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal