Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in left foot

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have pain and swelling in my left foot that began within the last week. Sometimes the pain is down around my toes and sometimes it's up around my ankle. It's painful to walk. Sometimes, it's like a stabbing pain, other times it just aches. Last night my foot and leg were swollen. I also have some pain in my leg below my knee as well as what seems like some big knots in the muscles on the back of my leg just below my knee. It's only my left leg that hurts this way. No problems with other leg/foot at all.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be a fracture or blood clot.

Detailed Answer:
The pain and swelling in the foot and leg can be due to a stress fracture or a blood clot. This can be detected after a few investigations like X-ray and color doppler. You need to consult an orthopedician and get the proper investigations done. The treatment will depend on the cause.
To reduce the pain you can keep the foot elevated and use ice till then.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal