Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in jaw

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Dental Health
Question: Ihave a swelling on my jaw line near my ear It hurts to chew .
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be related to Parotid gland or wisdom tooth..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns...

As per your complain and presentation of symptoms swelling over jawline near the ear can be commonly due to 2 reasons..

1. It can be due to inflammation of the gum flap around wisdom tooth known as PERICORONITIS which occurs due to food lodgment between the gum flap and tooth causing bacterial infection..

2. If the swelling is also present in front of the ear then it can be due to infection in the Parotid gland..

A thorough clinical examination by an Oral Physician is needed to be done for proper diagnosis and treatment..

As of now to relieve pain you can take anti-inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen.
I would prefer to do cold compresses as if there is inflammation warm compresses will increase Inflammation and pain..
Do warm saline gargles..
Take a soft diet.

Any more queries and questions are most welcome..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards..
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina