Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in foot after a fracture

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
On Friday evening, I fell and broke my upper foot/toe (not sure which bone--it's just below the big toe, where it connects to the foot). My doctor advised that I should bear weight on it "as I feel comfortable" to help the healing, and not to remain immobile. I have a walking boot and crutches. I went for a walk today for about 15 minutes and was in pain with swollen foot when I got home.
How much should I be resting and how much should I be pushing myself to move? I know that bedrest is not recommended, but at this point even standing in the shower is still very painful.
Thanks in advance!
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
RICE 5-10 days

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for your question.

If your foot is becoming swollen and painful then you are at this stage doing a little to much activity on your foot. You should as your doctor pointed out let your symptoms dictate the amount of activity you do. For a phalangeal or metatarsal fracture I would usually advise patients to rest, elevate, ice and compress the foot for the first 5-10 days and then gradually increase there levels of activity following this depending on the pain and swelling. Typically a fracture will start to get 'sticky' at 14-21 days and this is when the pain and swelling significantly reduce.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes