Suggest treatment for pain and swelling after a ligament tear

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: met an accident , doctor said its ligment facture, i m having swelling too and its paining please sugest how to lessen the pain?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Keep the area elevated.

Detailed Answer:
A ligament tear can cause a considerable pain and swelling in the area. After the plaster is applied the pain gradually reduces.
If the pain and swelling does not start receding after 24 to 48 hrs, then you need to consider re visiting your doctor for a repeat assessment.

In the meantime you can practice what is called R.I.C.E. This stands for rest, icing the area of injury, compression-use a bandage to reduce the swelling - no need if the area is already plastered and elevation- elevation of the affected area reduces the swelling and may also have a positive impact on the pain.
Also continue using the pain killers that your doctor would have given you.
Otherwise you can take ibuprofen 600 thrice a day after meals for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal