Suggest treatment for pain and stiffness in the neck

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 25 Oct 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello.
I am having stiffed neck due to which my shoulder blade , neck and left hand is very painful. I am suffering from this for last 5 days. Tried various gels , creams. Today i studied about naprosyn 500. But the problem is i cant swallow a pill. And its not allowed to crush naprosyn. I just want to confirm that can i crush naprosyn 500 . And what will be the dosage. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is ok to crush a tablet. But the taste would not be pleasant.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It is ok to crush a tablet of naprosyn. 500 mg one or two tablets together can be taken based on requirement. It is advisable to take it in full stomach. Hot compress should help. If that does not suffice it would be advisable to get an X Ray of cervical spine done.

It is usually not recommended to crush naproxen because it is a gastric irritant. However, taking it in full stomach should minimize the irritation.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 47 minutes later
What precautions do i need to take. And for how long should i take naprosyn. Also need to know should i avoid cold climate like air conditoned room
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take naprosyn twice daily for next 2-3 days

Detailed Answer:
I would insist you to take naprosyn twice daily for the next 2-3 days. This will help in breaking the vicious cycle of muscle spasm which is likely to be associated. Thereafter take it only if needed.

Rather than cold temperatures, it is better to keep a moderate temperature for the AC. If the temperature is soothing and not chilling, I do not suppose that staying in AC would be an issue.