Suggest treatment for pain and pressure in the left leg

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I am female 58 yrs old. Noticed three days ago that on my drive to work my left leg bothered me. A tightness on the left side of my knee. One out of the car it was fine. Next day the pain was increased during ride but again subsided once out of the car. Third day pain was again bad. Dull ache but a lot. Walking relieved it but sitting was starting to bother it. Last night I came home and it was aching so I laid down But this time when I stood up the pain was deep in center of thigh to knee and very painful this lasted for approx 15 minutes then subsided to dull ache. This morning same thing. Once I put weight on it there was severe pain which subsided after 15 minutes of standing this pain once rising is now a burning stinging pain. Hurts to bend over from standing position. Did not injure leg. And the first two days I was able to walk on treadmill with no pain.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to muscle spasms or ligament problems as following...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,

I understand your concern.

You are reporting to have pain and tightness on the left side of the knee, which was fine when walking or going out of car.
You also report to have severe pain when you put weight on it which subsided after 15 minutes of standing.

There are 2 possible diagnosis to consider:
- muscle spasms due to magnesium deficiency : blood work is required to measure blood electrolytes including magnesium, calcium and vit.D

- sprained knee ligaments, in this case, physical examination and possible X-ray of the knee are needed

For treatment, continue taking Advil until pain is reduced.
Massage the local area with essential oils.
Apply warm clothing when sitting or laying.
Keep well hydrated.
Take magnesium supplements.

All the best!
Dr.Albana

Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 days later
The hospital ruled out blood clot with ultra sound, I had a cat scan of hip and leg, nothing showed and X-rays were negative as well. Pain intense upon standing. Could this be pinched nerve? The knee feels like it's asleep. When touched it is numb an tingles
Brief Answer:
Neurological examination/electromyography study advised further...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

Thank you for providing additional information.

Ok, if X-ray were negative, then, it's not related to arthritis or joint problem.
If blood clot was ruled out by the hospital, then, most probably is related to pinched nerve. However, a neurological examination will definitely determine it.

You feel the knee like it's asleep because of the painful spasms you suffered.
I'm still advising to take magnesium supplements and to run a neurological examination of lower extremities. Electromyography study is also advised further.

Wish fast recovery.
Dr.Albana