Suggest treatment for pain and itching in throat

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello Doc,

I have pain and itching in my throat with sneezing ,running nose and fever.

Can you please prescribe me any medicine.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
upper respiratory tract infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr XXXXXXX

From your symptoms it looks like you are suffeing from acute upper respiratory tract infection.

Upper respiratory tract infections are frequently viral in nature so only symptomatic treatment will suffice. For fever you can take paracetamol after checking your dose.

You can also take an antihiatamine like cetirizine 10 mg once a day for 3 days for the running nose and sneezing.

You should also follow some general measures like-
1) Do warm salt water gargling 4 times daily.
2) Avoid cold foods and air conditioning.
3) Do steam inhalation, it helps to keep your nose and sinuses patent.
4) Drink plenty of warm fluids.
5) Please get some rest.

If you do not feel better in a couple of days then see a dcotor because you may need a course of antibiotics.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 5 minutes later
Any kind of Antibiotics that is required ..
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
no antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,
Presently antibiotics are not required.
As I already told you, infections of upper respiratory tract are usually viral and hence antibiotics are useless. Antibiotics are effective only against bacteria.
Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj