Suggest treatment for pain and discomfort in the abdomen

Question
I noticed the color of my stool was greenish/brown with some pinkish streaks in it. I also have been experiencing discomfort in the upper stomach area/lower back. I've been on antibiotics for acne for the past 4 weeks.
Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
green discoloration occurs if there is a change in stool frequency

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Green discoloration of the stool usually occurs if stool is passed more frequently than normal.
The brown discoloration of stool occurs when changes occur to the bile as it passes through the colon.

If stool is passed frequently then the bile does not have the chance to undergo changes and the stool has a greenish appearance.
Pink streaks imply blood

Discomfort in the upper abdomen is usually related to discomfort in the stomach, possibly gastritis.

Antibiotics can irritate the stomach and can also cause diarrhea in some persons though it would normally present earlier than at 4 weeks in most cases.

Treatment--(1) hold off of solid food till there is a 4 hour window of no symptoms.

When this time period occurs, use a small amount of dry food (biscuits, toast , plain rice etc), then if this is tolerated , this can be varied

(2)probiotics can also help

(3)fluids

(4)if the pink streaks continue or worsen or any of the other symptoms- then you should see your doctor for assessment

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions