Suggest treatment for pain and burning sensation in the abdomen after injury

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I fell backwards on my buttocks off a ladder Christmas 2015 - about 2m from the ground onto a concrete floor. When I fell, I immediately felt a sharp stitch on the left of my abdomen (just under my left rib cage). Ultra sound came up unremarkable, yet I have been living with this stitch, on and off burning sensation, pain and discomfort for 9 months and feel really sad and frustrated about the situation. I took Mylanta the other night for heartburn but it intensified the burning pain? I have experienced a change in my bodily habits too as my stomach has been very noisy since, I have excess wind and sometimes have constipation. No one seems to have an answer for me. Please can you help?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diaphragm rupture can give such symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

If the symptoms are really connected with the mentioned injury, the most probable reason of such situation is diaphragm rupture so the intestines or/and stomach has moved to the chest (not whole, just a part of it).
If so, you should have abdominal and chest x-ray to diagnose the problem. If nothing will be found in this tests, abdominal CT surely should diagnose it.

Hope this helps.
Regards.