Suggest treatment for pain and black colored nail on toes

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: My left toe started bothering me about a week ago. But I didn't really pay attention to it. Today I noticed that it's black just under the nail where it hurts. Do you have any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Black left toe nail with Pain?Under Investigation

Detailed Answer:
Brief Health Concern-Black left toe nail with Pain?Under Investigation

Hi,Welcome with your query to HCM.
Based on the facts of query you seem to have-subungaul hematoma under the hurting nail of the left toe(Confirm the side as you said right side in medications tried),which was not cared by you for a week.
I would suggest you to update the photograph for further suggestions on caring it.
In the mean time take following care-
Consult your Gp doctor and take the script of the medicines on the following line-
-Rest and Elevation of the left foot
-Tab Anti-inflammatory
-Tab Antibiotics-to control any existing infection or prevent new one in the subungual hematoma
-Antiseptic cleaning of the toe nail and keeping it dry by medicated
padded dressing.

Update if you suffer from diabetes and if your blood sugar test is done?
Await your photograph and any more information on the query.

Good Day!!

Dr.Savaskar, XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Mukund Savaskar 1 hour later
This is my right toe. I have never been diagnosed with diabetes, but I did have a questionable sugar test about 6 months ago. I also have muscle weakness/pain in the calf in the morning. I have a picture of the toe from the top if this one isn't clear.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Onychomycosis with Onycholysis with Subungual Hematoma?Rt Toe nail

Detailed Answer:
Ans-Onychomycosis with Onycholysis with Subungual Hematoma?
Hi,Thanks for the updates.
Advise on Blackening of the Onychomycosis.
I reviewed your non-clear photo,in which the blackened part is not clear.
Still with the available info,You seem to have combination of drug induced ?steroid induced borderline diabetes,as submitted by with questionable sugar report.
In this scenario,yours is a difficult case of Onychomycosis,which has lately developed in to Onycholysis(Seperation from Nail bed) with ? subungual Hematoma.
Remedy -
Surgeon's or Podiatrist Opinion and
Care of the Painful Toe nail
Protection from added trauma
Removal of the Toe nail and Excision of the Nail Plate if you desire(Would help fungal cure also) and subungual Hematoma
/under Antibiotic and Anti-inflammatory Cover,after proper evaluation of body condition-specially your blood sugar.

General Health and Treatments Suggested-under cover of your doctors-
Tab Terbinafine-250 mg x 12 weeks under care of your Dermatologist to treat extensive Onychomycosis you have.
Proper Pedicure-by regular oiling of the skin after dettol cleaning of the foot

Plenty of Fluids and Good-High Protein Diet/Citrus fruit juices with
Tab Zincovit/Multivitamines
Control of the Questionable Sugar by diet / regular exercises or jogging and with anti-diabetic drugs if need be ,in consultation with your doctors.

Hope this reply would help you for treating the blackened Toe Nail of the Right great Toe.

Will appreciate writing your feedback review comments,to help the needy patients like you at HCM.

Good Day!!

M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D