Suggest treatment for pain after leg injury

Posted on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Wednesday I fell 3 1/2 feet from a tractor. All my weight landed on my left leg. I felt a pull and pop and extreme pain. When I was able to stand it felt like my knee went sideways. Two days later the pain is getting better and I can stand on it. Is it possible that I did not tear a ligament, or is it normal to be able to take weight and not give way with a torn ligament. By the way I am a very active farm Women of 53 yrs. I have gone to an orthopedic and saw a PA.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of partial medial collateral ligament injury

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query

I'm Dr Sudhir Kumar

After going through your query I concluded that you may be having partial injury of medial collateral ligament of your left knee as you felt pop and felt that your knee went sideways.

It may be possible with partial torn ligament to take weight and not give way.

However it may be possible that you may be having only minor soft tissue injury and not torn ligament but it is advisable to wear your knee splint without hinges till you get MRI report. It is advisable to rest and not work. You can take analgesic such such as ibuprofen for pain relief. Vitamin B and C will be helpful in recovery.

You can discuss with your Doctor about it.

Hope your query get answered. If you have any clarification then please don't hesitate to write to me. I will be happy to help.

Wishing you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 30 minutes later
Thank you for this information. I am wondering why a hinged brace is not recommemed?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Because it does not completely prevent movement at injured site of ligament

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back

Purpose of brace is to keep the ligaments at rest (no movement at injury site) to prevent further damage of a partially damaged ligament and to promote healing. A hinged brace is not recommended because it does not completely prevent movements at injured site of ligament as it allow some movements of it.

Hope your query gets answered.
If you have any clarification then I will be happy to help you.
If you have no clarification then you can close the query and rate the answer.

Wishing you a good health.

For future query, you can also directly approach me through my profile URL https://www.bit.ly/askdrsudhirortho

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Orthopaedic Surgeon