question-icon

Suggest treatment for pahryngitis and chronic tonsillitis

Posted on Mon, 23 Nov 2015
Question: Hi, does my throat looks normal? I have recently taken 2 full courses of wide spectrum antibiotics, still feel like there is something choking me inside, thnx
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Pahryngitis and chronic tonsillitis. Reflux.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. There is congestion of the anterior pillars of the tonsil, the tonsils (the right has a tonsillolith) and the soft palate and posterior pharyngeal wall.

2. This denotes chronic tonsillitis and pharyngitis. If there are painless neck nodes, this is a possible cause.

3. Get a throat swab and blood counts done.

4. The choking feeling may be due to these conditions or due to acid reflux worsened by the two courses of antibiotics.

5. Request your doctor to also prescribe and anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, anti-reflux medication with medicated gargles. Mucaine Suspension should be available OTC. A short course of steroids will help if not contraindicated and if your other reports are normal.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist