• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pachyonychia congenita

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, I suffer from a chronic pain condition caused by a gentic skin disorder called Pachyonichia Congenita. Since the begining of this year I've been on an opioid regimen to help quell my pain for the busy college lifestyle I live. I am an otherwise completely healthy 20 year old young man. My question is, what could the effects of longterm opioid use be on a young body such as mine?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
What exact opioid are you on?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for reaching out to us at healthcare magic .

I have reviewed your information fully and so sorry to hear about this congenital pain problem. Am however happy that you are receiving medications and keeping everything checked.

To respond to your worry appropriately, I will need to know the specific opioid and the dose you are on. This information is important in crafting a good, personalized and helpful response to you. However, getting hooked to opioids is something common to all of them. For other specific organ concerns, the exact medication is needed as well as the dosage.

I hope to hear from you to conclude your response based on your treatment plan.

Waiting...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Percocet 5/325 once or twice a day when needed.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Main concern is dependence!

Detailed Answer:

The main worry is that your system may get so used to it that you may not be able to get off it. The best way to prevent this is by using only when necessary and taking the least dose possible. This is a pain medication and if a single tablet can do, there is no need taking two.

Constipation is a possible side effect. Increased fluids, fruits, vegetables and fiber intake can help with this. Regular physical exercise as well is very helpful.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Always feel free to ask for more guidance and advice if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 19 minutes later
Thank you for the responce! My main problem with the Percocet is that its acute pain killing effects wear off after about 2-3 hours, forcing me to redose if I need to continue physical activity during the day (for example excess walking). Do you think a possible swich to an low dose extended release form of Oxycodone? I have tried both Vicodin and Tramadol before starting Perocet and Oxycodone seems to be the best for providing pain relief. I realize dependence and physical addiction can be a problem when stopping, yet I have felt none of these effects so far when I go 2-3-4 days without dosing which seems to be a good sign. I have felt maybe minor constipation during the last few weeks but I've been trying to eat plenty of fiber and it isn't too much of a discomfort at the monent. I've also read some articles saying that opioids can lower testosterone in men, though I assume this is for extremely high doses for a very long time, yet still worries me. Given my
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Opioids have little effects on testosterone!

Detailed Answer:

Opioids are not the number one drug to affect testosterone levels. Those are rare observations and only meant to scare persons. Your dosage raises least concerns.

I am sure you do not have prolonged physical activity daily. When you do have it, take repeated dosages as need be. Like you mentioned, other pain medications didn’t seem to help that much and that is why it is extremely important to stick to what works for you. I will not advocate switching over to oxycodone.

I will say remain physically active but do not take on excessively demanding tasks. This might push you easily over to dependence.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up wth me as you please.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah