Suggest treatment for ovarian cysts

Dr. Madhuri N Bagde

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have cysts on my ovaries and am allergic to birth control. Is there an alternative to surgery?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I understand the issue.

Ovarian cysts need treatment only if they are bigger than 5-6cm. Most cysts smaller than this resolve.

There is another condition called polycystic ovaries where there are multiple cysts in ovaries due to hormonal imbalance. The management for this depends upon the major hormone at fault with weight loss being the mainstay of treatment.

Regarding other cysts, if the size is more than 6 cm it is less likely to go without surgery and even birth control will not help.

It would be helpful if you could provide me with the size and other features of the cyst like simple or complex etc.

Birth control has two hormones estrogen and progesterone. So check to see if you are alllergic to both components or only estrogen. If there are no progesterone allergies then you can take plain progesterone and they are more effective than birth control pills.

Other than these surgery is the other option and can be done by laproscopy. Transvaginal puncture of cysts is also an option in polycystic ovaries.

So please provide more details and then I will be able to help you better.
Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist