Suggest treatment for ovarian cyst and sleep apnea

Dr. M. Vamsi Krishna

Diabetologist

Posted on Fri, 20 Jun 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: ANNE’S MEDICAL HISTORY as of March 18, 2014

I had the usual childhood diseases: Measles, mumps, and chicken pox when I was a child, but otherwise was a healthy child until I was 15.

Had Organic Hypoglycemia, Insulinoma from 1962 till 1965. Surgery in 4/65 at University of Michigan Hospital. Continued to have Functional Hypoglycemia for awhile.

“71”-“74” Allergies started to bother me. I was living in the UP. It took several years before we figured out what the problem was. Before I left MI, in “93”, I had started having a lot of sinus infections.

“3/73” Car accident: fell asleep driving, was put on Ritalin then Dexedrine. Dr. thought I had Narcolepsy.

“75” I went off the Ritalin at another Dr. suggestion partly because I started have GI problems, IBS. I am always constipated. I have continued to have problems staying awake all my life, while driving .

“92” On workman comp. for 3 months because of a back injury. This was the start of a history of back problems.

Late “70’s” biopsy of both breast, cyst not a tumors and I also officially found out that I had low BP.

“80‘s” Had been taking Sudafed. One day took one dose and had very real chest pain. Went to Dr. and he sent me to hospital. The EKG had not been normal at Dr. office but by time it was taken at the hospital it was normal.

Late “80’s” BS was going from normal to 248 in an back down in 2 hrs, after I ate, cause unknown. Stress?

“88” “Guardia?” Scope showed gastrointestinal infection, never had loose stools, never really lost weight but lots of gut pain in upper area of colon but not like IBS. I got it while trying to go to college and working full time.

“89” car accident: broken L. collar bone, and possible bruised heart, slide on ice. Heart ok but if I am tired my chest aches. : I had L. arm and heart pain off and on for years since the accident. My chest and left arm will feel heavy and ache every time I get overly tired, stressed, or over work the L. arm.

“94” Married, moved to NM. Allergies much better but had Endometriosis: Surgery to be scheduled but treated it with herb and it went away.

“95“-“96” Large growth on my right forehead of unknown origin. Used herbal product killed the growth.

Winter of 1999. Bad sinus infection while working in the mountains. SOB while taking my daily walks. Dr. suggested I stay out of the mountains in the winter.

2004 Unable to take time to eat when working a traveling nursing job, 12 hours days, just ate a high protein bar. Blood sugar diving down to 40’s.

2004-05 SOB, Chest pain, left arm pain and pain on left side of my neck. Stress test was normal.

2011 Back pain is pretty constant now. I don’t usually take pain meds for back. It something I can live with. I have gotten over weight ABD. pain that resembles my IBS is back. Lots of gas. Urinary problems, unable to empty bladder but going a lot. Having to go a lot. IC diagnosed. I haven’t had problems with my Blood Sugar but I am not working either.

11/2011 Ovarian cyst found on ultrasound. Have had ultrasounds on regular bases since no change in size.

Winter 2011-12 Diagnose with two Hiatal Hernias

Dec, 2013 Put on CPAP for night time apnea. Realized I had problems for years. Even before I was heavy.

Problems as of March 18, 2014

Now It feels more like pressure on my chest and now I have left jaw pain. Sometimes it more noticeable then other times. It feels like a cramp, tightness, in my jaw and in my left neck. I had the pain maybe once or twice before but has become more often the last 2-3 weeks. I treat it by taking ASA and Cayenne Pepper 250,000 heat units. It works but I am tired of the routine.

Conti. Update:

In the last two weeks my blood sugar has been a problem. One day my blood sugar went down three times. I then stopped the Metformin ER. I was down to I/2 a 500mg in am. Still every day, even though I eat, I will have one or two weak spells. I am so tired and feel weak a lot of the time now. I would sleep all the time if I could.

March 7-9 In hospital for gut pain? Heart ok. Had eaten some hot chips.

March 12 BS went from 90’s up to 203 in short time after I ate a regular breakfast of Raisin XXXXXXX and milk maybe dry toast. My BS continued the pattern of going up then dropping. Continued to be in 90’s in morning go up and then down in 2 hours. At first I would be just dizzy and light headed when my BS was going down.

Problems now as of May 6

In last month I started only have a liquid protein drink in the am. But found I needed to eat peanut butter sandwiches all morning and half the afternoon to keep the BS from dropping. The problem is if anything kept me from this routine I was in trouble. Twice I had a day where I forgot the peanut butter sandwich. By 10 am I had the sandwich but I was confused, disorientated, light headed but my body felt like it doesn’t belong to me, coordination at these times has becomes a problem. I really felt like a drunk. Both times, it was to late for the sandwich and I had to eat a candy bar and a diet pop. My head finally got clearer but it took much of the evening to recover. I often jumpy and nervous now days, tears comes quickly. My condition has definitely worsened over the last month and a half., but jaw pain and chest pain seemed to have stopped

May 14

Back pain has increased over the last few months. I started taking 2 extra strength ASA at bedtime, PRN, this early spring. Now I am having to take Vicodin or Tylenol with Codeine at bedtime to sleep. I can barely get out of bed in am, even with the pain meds. Also I have given in an been wearing my back brace every day, this past week plus I take one extra strength ASA in am and PRN. Once I get up an around the pain decreases. I have been faithful to eat all am and have tried to avoid stressful situations and have had no more episodes. Generally in the pm I can slow down on the eating.

May 15 I got up at 7am and didn’t eat till 10am, my day off. Felt my BS was going to crash so ate breakfast with my husband. Had to eat a candy bar to feel better. I was dizzy, lightheaded. Chest hurt and weak. Candy bar helped.

May 22

Backache has gotten worst over the last month. When it is the worst, I have been taking a narcotic to help at nights. I also taking Vistaril, off and on, to help me sleep at night so I don’t have to get up and pee, Dr Nicholson order.
May 29

Taking narcotic pain med. Every night
I found a way to send my Medical records off another computer. I have a ovarian cyst and will have a ultrasound tues. I had my annual one last Sept but thought maybe I should have a repeat. Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. M. Vamsi Krishna 9 days later
Brief Answer:
thank you for providing necessary information

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam

I am very happy to see all your medical records.
Thank you for providing them at a very short notice.
most of the record is good and this problems are mild and hope they will not hurt you a lot.
Ovarian cyst is age related and nothing to feel bad about that.Some times they will regress with time.

Consider losing some weight as excess weight can hurt your back more.
Excess weight can be the cause for sleep apnea.
kindly consider tapering the dose of narcotics, Tylenol can be taken daily as per dose advised.
After a careful and detail analysis of your reports i came to a conclusion that you need to go for Insulinoma work up
kindly keep me informed about your progress and reports

Hope I was able to help you.

If you have any further question fell free to write me back.I will be happy to help.
Best Regards.
Dr Vamsi Krishna
Consultant Diabetologist
Apollo Hospitals

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T