Suggest treatment for osteoporosis

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have osteoporosis and my rheumatologist recommended RECLAST infusion once a year. I am so worried about the side effects but I certainly don't want a fracture that will debilitate me. I'm 81 and the bone densitiy number was -2.50. What do you suggest.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggest you take this medication!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about the scare you have related to this RECLAST. The only reason why drugs are often prescribed is not because they have no possible risk but because the benefits outweigh the risk. Just like you highlighted, the risk of debilitation from a fracture far exceeds the risk from a possible side effect and this is why your doctor is making this recommendation.

Another point to note is that these are possible side effects and not that you would for sure have these side effects. Many people do not generally have these side effects and as you must have noted, the probability of coming down of any of these side effects is probably less than 1%.

Another reason to feel confident taking this drug is that with knowledge of possible side effects, we will be able to catch any one very early and this makes treating fully very possible. Also, if you clearly develop serious issues, we will stop the drug in time.

In all, it is a god advice with a score of -2.5 which means that less than 2% of people of your age and sex have a poorer score than you. That’s not good for you. I strongly recommend you take this drug. Also, did your doctor recommend calcium and Vitamin D supplements, I will suggest you discuss this as well. Also, any other drugs that are likely to provoke and aggravate this like steroids should be avoided.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.