Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 14 Apr 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi my name is XXXXXXX and I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my lower back, neck, shoulders, hips, and knees. My doctor prescribed me narco and soon took them away I am in a lot of pain and I roll and cut donuts I have to lift at least 95 pounds a day and the medication he was giving me worked but now I am off and cant go back to work. I really need some help.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need management with modifications and compliance Detailed Answer: Thank you for asking XXXX! Osteoarthritis at the age of 51 with that much traumatic history and laborious work where you lift up to 95 pounds is all adding up to your pain. Now you have been on narco and the doctor has got them out means they were doing more harm than good. WHat ever doctor does is in the interest of patient. There are many ways to manage this age related osteoarthralgia. like self education Heat and cold Weight loss Exercise Physical therapy Occupational therapy Unloading in certain joints (eg, knee, hip). Medicines which can be of some help in this situation are Acetaminophen Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), oral and topical Intra-articular corticosteroids Intra-articular sodium hyaluronate Opioids Duloxetine Muscle relaxants Nutriceuticals (eg, glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate) Discuss these options with your doctor. You can consult a rheumatologist and a physiotherapist for further management. If the response to pain medicines is not good then a step up to surgical options like osteotomy, arthroplasty, arthroscopy, fusion and lavage of joints and arthroplasty can be considered.An orthopaedic surgeon would be needed for choosing the best option. I hope Miss XXXXXXX It helps.Take care and dont forget to close the discussion pleas. May the odds be ever in your favour.