Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Tue, 28 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Dear Doctor. I am male aged 45 years working in the Central Government in New XXXXXXX I am having sedantary lifestyle. Also I am vegetarian. Doctor my height is 172 cm and height is 80 kg.

MY PROBLEM IS MY TUMMY CAME OUT AND IT IS LOOKING ODD. EVERYONE IS SAYING YOU ARE HANDSOME AND GOOD POSTURE BUT THE BELLY DOES NOT LOOKS LIKE. I AM ALSO FEELING LOW WHEN IN GROUP OR TALKING TO SOME ONE.
ALSO MAIN THING IS I HAVE DEVELOPED CARTILAGE DAMAGE IN BOTH MY KNEES AND DOCTOR ADVISED TO REDUCE WEIGHT PARTICULARLY TUMMY.
AS FAR AS EXERCISE IS CONCERNED DOCTOR I DONT HAVE TIME. AS I WAKE UP IN THE MORNING BY 5 AM AND DO THE WORKS RELATED TO MY CHILDREN TILL THEY LEAVE FOR 7.30 PM. AFTER THAT I WILL GO FOR BATH AND TO THE OFFICE AS I SHOULD B E IN THE OFFICE BY 9 AM. IN THE OFFICE OF COURSE I TAKE BREAK FOR EVERY HALF AN HOUR BUT IN VAIN. I COME TO MY RESIDENCE BY 10 PM. THERE IS NO TIME TO DO THE EXERCISE.
SECOND THING I TAKE GOOD DIET. I DONT TAKE NORMALLY MORE SUGAR, FAT PRODUCTS ETC. I TAKE LOT OF WATER AND FRUITS. AS FAR AS SLEEP IS CONCERNED I HAVE GOOD SLEEP. THEN WHAT IS THE REASON TO REDUCE MY TUMMY DOCTOR. IF YOU SAY THAT ONLY TUMMY REDUCTION IS NOT POSSIBLE THE WHOLE BODY WEIGHT SHOULD COME DOWN KINDLY HELP ME OUT I SHALL BE GRATEFUL THAT I WILL HAVE SOME RESPITE FROM OSTEOARTHRITIS IN KNEES AND HAVE GOOD STRUCTURE. SO WHAT TO DO DOCTOR. IS THERE IS ANY MEDICINES WHICH CAN HELP ME. IF SO, KINDLY HELP ME.
1) ONE THING EARLY IN THE MORNING WHEN I WAKE UP AND TAKE ONE GLASS OF XXXXXXX WARM WATER PLUS LEMON PLUS HONEY. BUT IN VEIN
2) IS IT RIGHT TO TAKE ANY ALLOPATHIC MEDICINES LIKE ORLISTAT 120 MG THRICE A DAY. I TRIED THIS BUT GETTING MOTIONS WITH OIL.
3) IS THERE ANY HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINES/ AYURVEDIC/UNANI/SIDDHA AND NATUROPATHY PLEASE.
KINDLY HELP ME.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are only slightly overweight

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Your BMI is 27 and you are only slightly overweight.
Your tummy maybe protruding for another reason like digestion issues etc.
Better take cleaner water to avoid gastrointestinal infections.

Add some exercise. Maybe you can start with yoga at home. You can learn it in a yoga course and then do it by yourself. Padmasadhna is good to reduce body fat and takes only a few minutes. You can do it before breakfast and dinner.

Getting motions with oil is a side effect of the medicine. It can be safely taken over prolonged periods despite this harmless side effect. But You do not require weight loss medicines. Tummy doesnt seem to be due to high weight. It seems to be stemming from sedentary lifestyle and another (unknown) factor that we need to find.

Ancho lean is one ayurvedic medicine that can help lose weight. Aloe vera juice can also help. But again you do not require it. These natural or alternative medicines can also have side effects. Digestive problems is their most common side effect.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 23 hours later
Dear Doctor, I am suffering from Osteoarthritis and knee pain I am unable to do the exercises particularly yoga. Kindly suggest any other alternative which reduce tummy. Kindly suggest any allopathic, homeopathic, ayurvedic, unani, siddha, naturopathy, herbs and homemade medicines which can reduce my tummy
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Aloe vera juice

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Among others, aloe vera juice is safer and quick results in few days. You can withdraw after that and maintain the weight with other measures. Triphala can also be taken. Acho-lean is also available for weight loss.

In allopathy, orlistat is safest. Oil is excreted because it does not get absorbed into body. Other medicine is Victoza (liraglutide), phentermine (not available in India), Topiramate. These can have side effects, therefore should be taken under guidance of a doctor.

Hope it helps.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj